High Scardus Trail Overview
High Scardus Trail Organization
The great High Scardus Trail in the western Balkan Mountains
The High Scardus Trail in it's whole beauty crosses the countries North Macedonia, Kosovo and Albania. The start point is in Staro Selo in North Macedonia and the End point is in Sveti Naum at Ohrid Lake also in North Macedonia. When hiking the High Scardus Trail you cross the mountain ranges of Sharr, Korab, Deshat, Jablanica and Galichica - one more beautiful than the other. The best time to hike the Trail is from mid of June to Mid of October. The sea level stretches from 700m to 2.764m - so a certain basic physical condition is needed - especially when hiking the longest stage with 8 hours and a length of 26km (stage 8 "Brod - Radika"). The longest stage by altitude meters is stage 10 ("Strezimir - Radomire") with 300m up and 1.600m down.
Go through the single stages to find out more and get inspired by the great impressions and pictures you find at each stage!
Track typesShow elevation profile
Tips and hints
Find out more about the High Scardus Trail on www.high-scardus-trail.com
Click through the individual stages to find detailed turn-by-turn directions.
- Backpack approx. 30-40 liters with hip belt
- Rain cover for the backpack
- Telescopic poles
- Trekking shoes at least category B (preferably ankle-high for the pathless passages)
- Flipflops or similar for the accommodations
- 2 pairs of hiking socks
- hiking pants softshell or similar (wind- and water-repellent - the High Scardus Trail runs through alpine regions)
- Hiking pants spare (also for accommodation)
- T-shirt quick drying
- T-shirt fast drying spare (quantity depending on the length of the tour)
- Top long first layer (e.g. Transtex-Sleeve) + replacement
- Top long second layer (e.g. sleeve made of fleece or merino wool) + replacement
- Softshell jacket or similar
- Clothing for accommodation
- rain jacket (hardshell jacket waterproof and breathable)
- umbrella if necessary
- Rain pants (hardshell pants waterproof and breathable)
- Sun protection for the head (sun hat or cap)
- Hat (can get cold even in summer!)
- small travel towel
- personal hygiene items personal medicines (important medicines in addition to personal medicines are e.g. Imodium, charcoal tablets, Bepanthen and a painkiller like Ibuprofen or Parkemed)
- Blister plaster
- Pocket knife, small scissors
- Sunglasses (tight-fitting with 100% UV protection and tint category 3)
- Sunscreen (SPF at least 30, water/sweat resistant, broad spectrum protection, not older than 1 year)
- Lip protection (SPF at least 20)
- Outdoor first aid kitpossibly spare glasses
- small LED headlamp
- bivy sack (at least a very light one)
- Handkerchiefspassport + copycredit card/cash (at many accommodations you can only pay with cash)
- Border Crossing Permit
- Small dictionaries
- Travel documents printout
- Orientation App (e.g. Outdooractive with Pro-Account, so you can save the map sections offline)
- if necessary additional GPS-device
- Cell phone (smartphone for orientation app) + charger
- Powerbank for cell phone (not all accommodations have sockets)
- if necessary power socket adapter
Food and drinks
- Drinking bottles (depending on temperature and personal drinking needs 1,5-3 liters; the sources are shown in the map)
- Food for the day (the respective shopping possibilities can be seen in the map)
- 22 Stages
A quiet start to a long trail: the hut approach to the magnificently situated Mountain Hut Ljuboten as a short starting stage. >>>> ATTENTION: ...
Border walk: along the Kosovar/North Macedonian border over the ridge of the Sharr Mountains to the ski resort of Brezovica, an interesting witness ...
Wild Western Balkans: on small trails and also pathless through the moors and mats along the northern flanks of the Sharr Mountains.
The mild side of the wild side: Enjoyable hiking on the more gentle counterpart to the previous stage 03 along the northern flanks of the somewhat ...
Welcome to the other side: From the Kosovar mountain village Gornje Ljubinje in a beautiful heath landscape over the Sharr Mountains to the Vejce Hut.
High above the North Macedonian mountain villages of Vejce, Veshala and Bozovce through the Sharr Mountains - a wonderfully scenic stage!
Through the famous Leshnica valley with its rugged rock towers back across the North Macedonian-Kosovar border to the mountain village of Brod.
The path to nowhere: very long but scenically one of the most magnificent stages on the High Scardus Trail through the Mongolian-like highlands of ...
A short regeneration stage "in the middle nowhere" between the Sharr Mountains in the northeast and the Korab Mountains in the southwest - just ...
To the king of the Western Balkans: the crossing of Mount Korab, with 2,764 m above sea level the highest peak of the Western Balkans, as a ...
Tibet Feeling at the High Scardus Trail: From Radomire at the foot of the Korab massif over a magnificent mountain pass (2.090m) to the wide high ...
One of the "king's stages" on the High Scardus Trail: a nimble routing guides you amidst breathtaking mountain scenery to the stone mountain ...
A scenic border hike between Albania and North Macedonia: once the gentle crests of the Deshat Mountains are climbed again, a boundless panorama ...
From bright heights into dark forests: This varied daily stage leads past the mighty peak of Velivar and then down into the mystical forests of ...
Transfer by shuttle from the end of stage 14 in Bitushe to the start of stage 15 in Modrič.
Stage 16 on the High Scardus Trail marks the entrance to the mystical Jablanica Mountains: on an ancient pilgrimage trail across the scenic ...
A truly green stage: through the mystical forests of the Jablanica Mountains over the "Green Pass" from North Macedonia to Albania, to the mountain ...
Enjoy the dense forest of Shebenik-Jablanica National Park (partly a UNESCO World Heritage) and the small glacial lakes seen from both sides of the ...
Very close to life in two ways: from the loneliness and naturalness of the Albanian mountain pastures to the lively town of Vevcani, which is well ...
Transfer with shuttle from the end of stage 19 in Vevcani to the start of stage 21 in Velestovo
On the last two stages, the High Scardus Trail unfolds its full splendor once again! The dream hike on the Galichica summit ridge high above Lake ...
The crowning finale: first steeply uphill to the mighty Magaro peak and then steeply downhill to the Orthodox place of pilgrimage Sveti Naum on the ...
Questions and answers
Photos from others