High Scardus Trail Stage 21 Velestovo - Mountain Hut Magaro
High Scardus Trail Organization
Widescreen cinema: The magic of the Galichica Mountains! On both sides of the summit ridge spread the natural wonders of Lake Ohrid (right) and Lake Prespa (left)Photo: Trail Angels/ G.Mussnig, CC BY-ND, High Scardus Trail Organization
>>>> ATTENTION: Detailled informations on how to plan your trip, safety instructions, regulations for border crossing etc. are provided by the official website www.high-scardus-trail.com <<<<
Track typesShow elevation profile
Rest stopsNaum Dzajkoski's Mountain Dairy & Cheese Tastings
Note: There is one very good exit along this stage: Just before you reach the mountain ridge, at an altitude of approximately 1,700m, there is a trail descending to the village of Elshani. This provides a very good escape route in case of bad weather, before entering the exposed mountain ridge area.
The start of this stage is on the beautifully situated hillside settlement of Velestovo, which opens a dreamlike view over Lake Ohrid. There are several accommodations here. If you start from the villa Velestovo, the High Scardus Trail leads directly uphill. At first, the easily visible trail leads through the scattered village of Velestovo and later into a very beautiful Mediterranean mixed deciduous forest. At the beginning of this stage, there are always wonderful views of Lake Ohrid as well as the old town of Ohrid. Later on, you will be completely immersed in the shady mixed deciduous forest, whereby the High Scardus Trail always leads in a southerly direction. In general, the trails here - you are in the Galichica National Park - are very well signposted and marked. Soon you reach a particularly impressive section of this stage, because archaeologists have excavated parts of the Roman Via Egnetia here and also restored so that you walk on a more than 2000 year old Roman path. You will reach a very nice resting place, which is also a prominent crossing point of various trails in the Galichica National Park. Shortly after, you leave the beautiful beech forests and cross a large polje. This is a wide karst area, which has been used as a meadow for a long time. After crossing the polje, you will soon enter the shady mixed deciduous forests again. Now the path leads more steeply uphill and you finally climb the ridge of the Galichica Mountains. On a prominent terrain step you have again a magnificent view of Lake Ohrid. Here a path branches off that leads downhill. You should choose this one if the weather has worsened, because it leads to a nearby mountain village. However, the High Scardus Trail now goes steeply uphill once again and then reaches a ridge top marked with a surveyor's pole at 1800m above sea level. The view from this summit is breathtaking, as it offers not only a panoramic view of Lake Ohrid to the west, but also of the beautiful Prespa Lake to the east. The rest of the route is like a dream hike, because you follow the clearly visible path on the distinctive ridge line, which has no alpine difficulties. Several ridge tops are climbed, always accompanied by a breathtaking view of the two natural wonders Lake Ohrid and Lake Prespa and the surrounding mountains. The last peak of today is located at exactly 2000m above sea level (Lako Signoj) and is unfortunately disfigured with some ruins of the Macedonian army. Nevertheless, the view from this peak is impressive. Now the path leads relatively steeply downhill, soon the view opens to the asphalted mountain road between Lake Ohrid and Lake Prespa. At the top of the pass “Lipova Livada”, the Margaro hut is already clearly visible. From the info point at the top of the pass, follow the hiking trail uphill again and after about 100 meters you will soon reach the idyllic Margaro Hut, located at the edge of the forest.
On the plateau, a side path branches off clearly visible, which you now follow in a northerly direction. This path leads to a prominent edge of the terrain, from which the alpine huts of Grama and today's stage destination are already clearly visible. The rest of the way is very steep, but on a passable path down to the stream and in a few meters on the opposite bank of the stream to the huts of Grama in the middle of a large sheep pasture. You have reached the stage destination.
By roadVia transfer stage 20 Vevcani - Velestovo
ParkingParking in a suitable place in the village.
Recommended maps for this region:
- Backpack approx. 30-40 liters with hip belt
- Rain cover for the backpack
- Telescopic poles
- Trekking shoes at least category B (preferably ankle-high for the pathless passages)
- Flipflops or similar for the accommodations
- 2 pairs of hiking socks
- hiking pants softshell or similar (wind- and water-repellent - the High Scardus Trail runs through alpine regions)
- Hiking pants spare (also for accommodation)
- T-shirt quick drying
- T-shirt fast drying spare (quantity depending on the length of the tour)
- Top long first layer (e.g. Transtex-Sleeve) + replacement
- Top long second layer (e.g. sleeve made of fleece or merino wool) + replacement
- Softshell jacket or similar
- Clothing for accommodation
- rain jacket (hardshell jacket waterproof and breathable)
- umbrella if necessary
- Rain pants (hardshell pants waterproof and breathable)
- Sun protection for the head (sun hat or cap)
- Hat (can get cold even in summer!)
- small travel towel
- personal hygiene items personal medicines (important medicines in addition to personal medicines are e.g. Imodium, charcoal tablets, Bepanthen and a painkiller like Ibuprofen or Parkemed)
- Blister plaster
- Pocket knife, small scissors
- Sunglasses (tight-fitting with 100% UV protection and tint category 3)
- Sunscreen (SPF at least 30, water/sweat resistant, broad spectrum protection, not older than 1 year)
- Lip protection (SPF at least 20)
- Outdoor first aid kitpossibly spare glasses
- small LED headlamp
- bivy sack (at least a very light one)
- Handkerchiefspassport + copycredit card/cash (at many accommodations you can only pay with cash)
- Border Crossing Permit
- Small dictionaries
- Travel documents printout
- Orientation App (e.g. Outdooractive with Pro-Account, so you can save the map sections offline)
- if necessary additional GPS-device
- Cell phone (smartphone for orientation app) + charger
- Powerbank for cell phone (not all accommodations have sockets)
- if necessary power socket adapter
Food and drinks
- Drinking bottles (depending on temperature and personal drinking needs 1,5-3 liters; the sources are shown in the map)
- Food for the day (the respective shopping possibilities can be seen in the map)
According to historians, Lychnidos (the ancient name of Ohrid) was built in the 4th century BC, but again myths and legends tell us that it was built ...
High Scardus Adrenalin represents an adrenaline variant of the long-distance hiking trail High Scardus Trail. The tour was created by Kostantin ...
For sure, the entire High Scardus Trail is beautiful in its whole diversity. But not everybody has the time or wants to hike 20 stages in a row. This ...
Šar Planina, the Korab Mountains with the 2,745-meter Korab as the highest peak in Albania and northern Macedonia, and the Galičica Mountains are all ...
- 7 Waypoints
- 7 Waypoints
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Photos from others