>>>> ATTENTION: Detailled informations on how to plan your trip, safety instructions, regulations for border crossing etc. are provided by the official website www.high-scardus-trail.com <<<<
NOTE: Between the end of this stage and the start of the next stage (High Scardus Trail Stage 21 Velestovo - Mountain Hut Magaro) a shuttle is required (see transfer stage 20).
You have 3 options:
- You stay overnight in Vevcani and bridge the distance to the starting point of the next stage in Velestovo with a shuttle the next morning. The small town of Vevcani is worth seeing!
- You take a shuttle from Vevcani to Ohrid, spend the night there and bridge the second part of the shuttle route to Velestovo the next morning. The city of Ohrid (between Vevcani and the next stage start Velestovo), whose old town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site (Lake Ohrid itself is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site), is a "must see" in North Macedonia.
- You can get a shuttle to Velestovo and start the next morning relaxed for the next stage.
Recommendation: Since Vevcani and Ohrid are very worth seeing, we recommend to take a rest day to have enough time.
Attention: Currently there is no official shuttle service in Vevcani.
Attention: The stage is currently not well marked in some places, which in combination with difficult to see sections of the trail and little detailed maps can lead to serious orientation problems in some places. Currently we strongly recommend to hike the trail only with a local guide. If you still want to hike on your own, great experience with GPS devices or the use of map apps (including the possibility of offline storage of maps; Outdooractive app recommended) is necessary!
Attention: For crossing the Kosovar-North Macedonian border (green border) a border permit is necessary!
Note: There are two possibilities to shorten the stage:
- In the ascent you reach a small saddle a few minutes below the summit Crni Kamen. Here you can descend to the north along an unmarked small trail directly to the lake Vevchanska Lokva, avoiding the summit. At the lake you will meet the marked path again.
- On the way down you will cross a forest road in the forest. If you take the forest road to the right, you will reach the small settlement of Gorna Belica in about 15 minutes. From here you will need a shuttle down to Vevcani.
Getting thereDie Qafa e Kryqit ist nur zu Fuß über die High Scardus Trail Etappe 17 Stebleve - Qafa e Kryqit erreichbar.
Book recommendations for this region:
- Backpack approx. 30-40 liters with hip belt
- Rain cover for the backpack
- Telescopic poles
- Trekking shoes at least category B (preferably ankle-high for the pathless passages)
- Flipflops or similar for the accommodations
- 2 pairs of hiking socks
- hiking pants softshell or similar (wind- and water-repellent - the High Scardus Trail runs through alpine regions)
- Hiking pants spare (also for accommodation)
- T-shirt quick drying
- T-shirt fast drying spare (quantity depending on the length of the tour)
- Top long first layer (e.g. Transtex-Sleeve) + replacement
- Top long second layer (e.g. sleeve made of fleece or merino wool) + replacement
- Softshell jacket or similar
- Clothing for accommodation
- rain jacket (hardshell jacket waterproof and breathable)
- umbrella if necessary
- Rain pants (hardshell pants waterproof and breathable)
- Sun protection for the head (sun hat or cap)
- Hat (can get cold even in summer!)
- small travel towel
- personal hygiene items personal medicines (important medicines in addition to personal medicines are e.g. Imodium, charcoal tablets, Bepanthen and a painkiller like Ibuprofen or Parkemed)
- Blister plaster
- Pocket knife, small scissors
- Sunglasses (tight-fitting with 100% UV protection and tint category 3)
- Sunscreen (SPF at least 30, water/sweat resistant, broad spectrum protection, not older than 1 year)
- Lip protection (SPF at least 20)
- Outdoor first aid kitpossibly spare glasses
- small LED headlamp
- bivy sack (at least a very light one)
- Handkerchiefspassport + copycredit card/cash (at many accommodations you can only pay with cash)
- Border Crossing Permit
- Small dictionaries
- Travel documents printout
- Orientation App (e.g. Outdooractive with Pro-Account, so you can save the map sections offline)
- if necessary additional GPS-device
- Cell phone (smartphone for orientation app) + charger
- Powerbank for cell phone (not all accommodations have sockets)
- if necessary power socket adapter
Food and drinks
- Drinking bottles (depending on temperature and personal drinking needs 1,5-3 liters; the sources are shown in the map)
- Food for the day (the respective shopping possibilities can be seen in the map)
- 11 Waypoints
- 11 Waypoints