>>>> ATTENTION: Detailled informations on how to plan your trip, safety instructions, regulations for border crossing etc. are provided by the official website www.high-scardus-trail.com <<<<
- Since this stage is very long and the first 3 km between Veshala and Bozovce are on a small asphalt road, it is recommended to cover this part with a shuttle.
- If you stay at Hotel Axhena (about 3.5 km south of Brod), it is recommended to take a shuttle from Brod to Hotel Arxhena - otherwise the total distance on this day will be very long.
Attention: The stage is currently not well marked in some places, which in combination with difficult to see sections of the trail and little detailed maps can lead to serious orientation problems in some places. Currently we strongly recommend to hike the trail only with a local guide. If you still want to hike on your own, great experience with GPS devices or the use of map apps (incl. the possibility of offline map storage; Outdooractive app recommended) is necessary!
Attention: For crossing the North Macedonian-Kosovar border (green border) a border permit is necessary!
Getting thereIn the center of Tetovo take the small mountain road R1209 in the direction of the ski resort Popova Shapka or Veshala. After a few bends, above the village of Gajre, a small road branches off sharply to the right in the direction of Brodets/Veshala/Bozovce. Follow this road past Brodets to Veshala.
The official start of the stage is at hiking signs at the beginning of Veshala. However, if you are already in the car, it is better to continue to the beginning of the next village Bozovce. This will save you the first 40 minutes of walking along the small asphalt road between Veshala and Bozovce.
ParkingVery limited parking at the beginning of the villages Veshala or Bozovce.
- Backpack approx. 30-40 liters with hip belt
- Rain cover for the backpack
- Telescopic poles
- Trekking shoes at least category B (preferably ankle-high for the pathless passages)
- Flipflops or similar for the accommodations
- 2 pairs of hiking socks
- hiking pants softshell or similar (wind- and water-repellent - the High Scardus Trail runs through alpine regions)
- Hiking pants spare (also for accommodation)
- T-shirt quick drying
- T-shirt fast drying spare (quantity depending on the length of the tour)
- Top long first layer (e.g. Transtex-Sleeve) + replacement
- Top long second layer (e.g. sleeve made of fleece or merino wool) + replacement
- Softshell jacket or similar
- Clothing for accommodation
- rain jacket (hardshell jacket waterproof and breathable)
- umbrella if necessary
- Rain pants (hardshell pants waterproof and breathable)
- Sun protection for the head (sun hat or cap)
- Hat (can get cold even in summer!)
- small travel towel
- personal hygiene items personal medicines (important medicines in addition to personal medicines are e.g. Imodium, charcoal tablets, Bepanthen and a painkiller like Ibuprofen or Parkemed)
- Blister plaster
- Pocket knife, small scissors
- Sunglasses (tight-fitting with 100% UV protection and tint category 3)
- Sunscreen (SPF at least 30, water/sweat resistant, broad spectrum protection, not older than 1 year)
- Lip protection (SPF at least 20)
- Outdoor first aid kitpossibly spare glasses
- small LED headlamp
- bivy sack (at least a very light one)
- Handkerchiefspassport + copycredit card/cash (at many accommodations you can only pay with cash)
- Border Crossing Permit
- Small dictionaries
- Travel documents printout
- Orientation App (e.g. Outdooractive with Pro-Account, so you can save the map sections offline)
- if necessary additional GPS-device
- Cell phone (smartphone for orientation app) + charger
- Powerbank for cell phone (not all accommodations have sockets)
- if necessary power socket adapter
Food and drinks
- Drinking bottles (depending on temperature and personal drinking needs 1,5-3 liters; the sources are shown in the map)
- Food for the day (the respective shopping possibilities can be seen in the map)
- 19 Waypoints
- 19 Waypoints