>>>> ATTENTION: Detailled informations on how to plan your trip, safety instructions, regulations for border crossing etc. are provided by the official website www.high-scardus-trail.com <<<<
Safety informationAttention: The stage is currently not well marked in some places, which in combination with difficult to see sections of the trail and little detailed maps can lead to serious orientation problems in some places. Currently we strongly recommend to hike the trail only with a local guide. If you still want to hike on your own, great experience with GPS devices or the use of map apps (incl. the possibility of offline map storage; Outdooractive app recommended) is necessary!
Note: There are 2 possibilities to shorten the stage (this will be necessary especially if you stayed in Vejce instead of Kobilica hut)::
- About 30 min before reaching the Upper Sharr Pass (about where you see the village of Veshala deep below you), a marked trail leads directly down to Veshala.
- At the crossroads at the Lower Sharr Pass, do not go straight towards the lake, but take the path on the left down into the valley. There you will meet the original High Scardus Trail again, which does the loop over the lake (time saving about 45 min).
Getting thereAccess by car to Vejce: From the center of Tetovo follow a small mountain road to the mountain village of Seltse and continue along the small road to Vejce.
Access by car to Kobilica Hut is only possible with an extremely robust off-road vehicle and is not recommended.
By foot: You walk from the hiking sign at the lower end of the village Vejce through the village to the upper end. Here begins a very steep and dusty road (or foot sidetrack) that goes up the slope to the northwest until you reach the hut. In the middle you choose the left path, both paths reunite further up. Time required: 1 hr. 30 min (ascent 500 hm).
ParkingLimited parking at the lower end of the village of Vejce.
- Backpack approx. 30-40 liters with hip belt
- Rain cover for the backpack
- Telescopic poles
- Trekking shoes at least category B (preferably ankle-high for the pathless passages)
- Flipflops or similar for the accommodations
- 2 pairs of hiking socks
- hiking pants softshell or similar (wind- and water-repellent - the High Scardus Trail runs through alpine regions)
- Hiking pants spare (also for accommodation)
- T-shirt quick drying
- T-shirt fast drying spare (quantity depending on the length of the tour)
- Top long first layer (e.g. Transtex-Sleeve) + replacement
- Top long second layer (e.g. sleeve made of fleece or merino wool) + replacement
- Softshell jacket or similar
- Clothing for accommodation
- rain jacket (hardshell jacket waterproof and breathable)
- umbrella if necessary
- Rain pants (hardshell pants waterproof and breathable)
- Sun protection for the head (sun hat or cap)
- Hat (can get cold even in summer!)
- small travel towel
- personal hygiene items personal medicines (important medicines in addition to personal medicines are e.g. Imodium, charcoal tablets, Bepanthen and a painkiller like Ibuprofen or Parkemed)
- Blister plaster
- Pocket knife, small scissors
- Sunglasses (tight-fitting with 100% UV protection and tint category 3)
- Sunscreen (SPF at least 30, water/sweat resistant, broad spectrum protection, not older than 1 year)
- Lip protection (SPF at least 20)
- Outdoor first aid kitpossibly spare glasses
- small LED headlamp
- bivy sack (at least a very light one)
- Handkerchiefspassport + copycredit card/cash (at many accommodations you can only pay with cash)
- Border Crossing Permit
- Small dictionaries
- Travel documents printout
- Orientation App (e.g. Outdooractive with Pro-Account, so you can save the map sections offline)
- if necessary additional GPS-device
- Cell phone (smartphone for orientation app) + charger
- Powerbank for cell phone (not all accommodations have sockets)
- if necessary power socket adapter
Food and drinks
- Drinking bottles (depending on temperature and personal drinking needs 1,5-3 liters; the sources are shown in the map)
- Food for the day (the respective shopping possibilities can be seen in the map)
- 12 Waypoints
- 12 Waypoints