High Scardus Trail Stage 04 Prevalla - Gornje Lubinje
High Scardus Trail Organization
High Scardus Trail Stage 04 Prevalla - Gornje Lubinje: Hiking on the summit flanks of the Sharr Mountains.Photo: Matthew Nelson, CC BY-ND, High Scardus Trail Organization
>>>> ATTENTION: Detailled informations on how to plan your trip, safety instructions, regulations for border crossing etc. are provided by the official website www.high-scardus-trail.com <<<<
Track typesShow elevation profile
Safety informationAttention: The stage is currently not well marked in some places, which in combination with difficult to see sections of the trail and poorly detailed maps can lead to serious orientation problems in some places. We therefore strongly recommend that you only hike the trail with a guide who knows the area. If you still want to hike on your own, great experience in using GPS devices or the use of map apps (incl. the possibility of offline map storage; Outdooractive app recommended) is necessary!
From the start of the stage at the tourist information box, cross the pass road and walk up the same road to the south that you walked down during the previous stage. Just outside the settlement, past the Hotel Krojet, you will reach a fork in the road where you came from the left during the previous stage - today, keep to the gravel road on the right. Follow this into the forest, choose the (obvious) left path at two crossroads and after a small yellow memorial bridge you will come to a signpost.
Here you leave the forest road and walk up the path to the left through the forest towards "Vejce/Lubinje e Epërme". At first, the path is quite steep - soon, however, the forest disappears and you walk through a beautiful heath landscape, always ascending to the west, crossing around the peak of Guri i Çarë to above a small valley (you will see a wide saddle in the direction of walking, which you more or less head for. At this point, do not miss a path on the right that is difficult to see and leads down into the valley (do not follow the more obvious path straight ahead). Go up through the valley (or right of it) until you reach a signpost at the top of the wide saddle (rather a large flat).
Now head west briefly through flat marshy terrain to an alpine road and down this to the right for a short while. Now you must not miss a path that branches off to the left and is difficult to see. Follow the path tracks or pathless through blueberry bushes uphill and downhill and later up onto a ridge until you reach a marker post. Continue in the same direction (to the west), traverse pathlessly through heaths until you reach another ridge and descend a few metres to another marker post. Cross around the ridge again and down to a spring, where a path begins again, which follows the slope in the same direction (west), first rising and later at the same height.
At a rocky point you will soon see a ruined sheep hut below you. Walk down to it and you will soon see the indicated path crossing the slopes to the west. The path becomes more and more obvious and the slopes to be crossed become flatter and flatter until the path becomes quite unobvious again in a meadow area. Keep walking in the same direction and continue to descend until you soon reach an Alm road. Walk along this road to the left (west), take the left road at the next fork and soon reach another fork. Here you leave the alpine road and a path leads straight ahead to meadows. Walk diagonally left down this path through a few copses until you reach a green shelter with a fountain after a few minutes.
Now follow the barely clear tracks down through the meadows until you reach a somewhat clearer road. Turn left and walk uphill and then downhill until you reach a crossroads. Turn left again here and follow the pasture road down to Gornje Lubinje.
At a yellow signpost at the beginning of Lubinje, the paths divide: turn left to Guesthouse Papradina and continue on to Vejce - to reach the actual end of the stage, however, you have to choose the small street straight ahead through the village. At a crossroads, take the right-hand uphill street and you will soon reach the centre of Gornje Lubinje with its sports field, mini-market, 2 cafés and cemetery - you have reached the official destination of High Scardus Trail stage 04!
[You will find the directions to Guesthouse Papradina about 3 km south of Gornje Lubinje in stage 05 Gornje Lubinje - Vejce].
By roadFrom Prizren via the well-built pass road R115 to the Prevalla Pass. The starting point of the stage is directly at the top of the pass at the tourist information box on the left of the road.
ParkingParking at the top of the pass
- Backpack approx. 30-40 liters with hip belt
- Rain cover for the backpack
- Telescopic poles
- Trekking shoes at least category B (preferably ankle-high for the pathless passages)
- Flipflops or similar for the accommodations
- 2 pairs of hiking socks
- hiking pants softshell or similar (wind- and water-repellent - the High Scardus Trail runs through alpine regions)
- Hiking pants spare (also for accommodation)
- T-shirt quick drying
- T-shirt fast drying spare (quantity depending on the length of the tour)
- Top long first layer (e.g. Transtex-Sleeve) + replacement
- Top long second layer (e.g. sleeve made of fleece or merino wool) + replacement
- Softshell jacket or similar
- Clothing for accommodation
- rain jacket (hardshell jacket waterproof and breathable)
- umbrella if necessary
- Rain pants (hardshell pants waterproof and breathable)
- Sun protection for the head (sun hat or cap)
- Hat (can get cold even in summer!)
- small travel towel
- personal hygiene items personal medicines (important medicines in addition to personal medicines are e.g. Imodium, charcoal tablets, Bepanthen and a painkiller like Ibuprofen or Parkemed)
- Blister plaster
- Pocket knife, small scissors
- Sunglasses (tight-fitting with 100% UV protection and tint category 3)
- Sunscreen (SPF at least 30, water/sweat resistant, broad spectrum protection, not older than 1 year)
- Lip protection (SPF at least 20)
- Outdoor first aid kitpossibly spare glasses
- small LED headlamp
- bivy sack (at least a very light one)
- Handkerchiefspassport + copycredit card/cash (at many accommodations you can only pay with cash)
- Border Crossing Permit
- Small dictionaries
- Travel documents printout
- Orientation App (e.g. Outdooractive with Pro-Account, so you can save the map sections offline)
- if necessary additional GPS-device
- Cell phone (smartphone for orientation app) + charger
- Powerbank for cell phone (not all accommodations have sockets)
- if necessary power socket adapter
Food and drinks
- Drinking bottles (depending on temperature and personal drinking needs 1,5-3 liters; the sources are shown in the map)
- Food for the day (the respective shopping possibilities can be seen in the map)
This tour is designed for people who want to go the extra mile. Sometimes just a little bit of extra effort but sometimes a very demanding venture. ...
The mythical Shar Mountains in Kosovo and North Macedonia: untouched, undeveloped, full of nature. The first part of the High Scardus Trail leads ...
One would never think that the area between Kosovo, Albania and North Macedonia provides Magnificent mountain landscapes and secluded villages ...
- 23 Waypoints
- 23 Waypoints
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Photos from others